12.2.08

You need to get out more.

It's true, I do. I'm starting to look like golem and my skin is getting translucent from lack of exposure. I'm expecting to start de-evolving and crawl back into the water, and if I'm lucky, I'll turn into this.

i love these things

Until then, while I still have thumbs and fingers among other things that I will lose upon turning into an Axolotl, I will continue to do useless crafts that make my house a mess and end up with me picking up weird colorful nun-chuck poos from the dogs because they ate magenta thread... you know what I'm talking about. And if you don't, at least you know I pick up their poos like a good owner. I really don't recommend trying to do this on a large scale as it took me around two hours to do one. Granted, this is my first try, so if you're talented, I'm sure you can bust one of these puppies out in no time. Again, this is my first attempt and I'm willing to share with you something I'm sure in about 10 months I'm going to wish I never posted up on the internet for posterity. Be nice. I bled for you - the needle is no joke.


Ok, so I didn't have gray.. or yellow... so I had to make a baby penguin in shades of pink. Let's call that artistic and not a complete lack of foresight or willingness to get off my ass and buy the right colors. I have an excuse, I'm waiting for FedEx, and nothing twists my panties more than missing a package, so I'm not moving for anybody - especially a felt penguin.

Seriously though, it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, and it's pretty amazing watching it come together. Who knew wool fibers were so rad? Did I use rad in two sentences? sorry. Buy wool roving, foam pad, scary needles and poke into shape. Easy!

There are a lot of cool things you can do - like.. making your cake toppers!

rainsend on etsy
Or making decorations since you can make fruits and shapes or whatever else you want... like starfishes. You can even make coasters and flat things with the right kind of felt. You can make coin purses and bags for your bridal party, or for yourself and brag about it to that bridal party while handing them a bag of stale cookies and laughing about the orange/seafoam two-tone tafetta dress you forced them to wear. You know, depending on your personality.

If you want to look at some neat stuff, just look up felt craft on etsy! There are some pretty good books about it too, mostly in Japanese, but they are step by step pictures in them. Good luck, and enjoy the bloody mess that will be your abused finger tips after trying this.

No comments: