14.4.10

Let's rewind.

Reading Wedding Bee always makes me really really friggin' guilty. Mostly because I know I'm still around and reading it and not saying anything. I'm going to attribute this to my life being so boring that only people who have absolutely nothing better to do would read it. I think between the choice of cleaning the litter box and reading about my day to day life, most people's cats would be very happy. You can use this as a threat if you want your SO to scoop poop "Don't MAKE me read her post aloud!".


ooo! treasure!!

I never shared my meeting Mr. GB story because it's boring. We went to college, I set him up with his last girl friend (we're all still friends), I moved to Japan, I came back, we got together. I didn't steal him, I didn't charm him, we just started hanging out when I moved back and it happened. In fact, I had never even considered the possibility of dating him - he was that ginger kid that would argue with me about Soul Calibur (grr!). He said I was 'out of his league' until he saw the kinds of people I dated and then figured I had no standards and to just go for it. Did I also mention that he thought I was BLAND? Yes, he used the word bland. All you guys out there who want to sweep a girl off her feet need to take a lesson from Mr. GB. He is obviously the pinnacle of romance.

And I never shared my proposal story because... well, he never proposed. *gasp* What?! Why!? Um... because as I've said I'm an anal control freak and I'd be damned if he picked a ring out for me that I had nothing to do with and I really really don't like surprises. And no, I would not have had enough tact to accept it as is and say that it was the thought and emotion behind the ring that counted. He knows better, so he had me make the decisions.

But how did we tell Mr. GB's family? We didn't, someone else did. The Fraud Prevention on his credit card called his father and said "hey, uh... we found this charge..." You see, the card he used was one he got in college that also had his parents' names on it. Uh... surprise?! Rather than being upset, his father was actually really happy... that he had such a great story to tell people about how he found out. We're just glad he didn't reverse the charge and opted to call Mr. GB first.

When my friends asked I told them "The best thing about this is I never have to date ever again." That's love! Well... at least it's honest. And isn't that the best thing about marriage? Finding the person you want to spend the rest of your life with is a completely secondary benefit to the fact that you will never have an awkward break up or that really uncomfortable first date ever again.

If I could go back in time, would I change things? Not at all. I'm not sure how many other people are as involved in the ring process, skipped a proposal, or if anyone's parents found out in a weird way, but it's very fitting for us seeing as we're both bizarre and nothing we do is conventional.
(Mr. GB claims that he was NOT weird until we started dating, that it was a necessary adaptation in order to survive.) Sure honey, you go on thinking that.

No comments: