15.4.10

Why I'm a jerk-face

I'm laying it all out on the table. I've changed my engagement ring setting TWICE. Yea, that's right. I'm an insensitive, unsentimental jerk-face. Not a jerk, a jerk-face.

I know there are people who have the perfect ring, their dream ring, or it is just the best ring ever because it's their engagement ring. But what do you do when you don't like your ring, or maybe you just want to change it?


honey, I know I said I wanted cartier... but this is not what I had in mind.

I'm one of those people. I'm like the ocean - ever moving/changing and if you wanna be on it, you gotta roll with it. If you don't, I will swallow you whole and no one will ever see you again until your bloated body floats somewhere downstream. Me, master of imagery. Am I attached to my ring? Well, technically, yes. It doesn't come off because I have giant, mannish knuckles from years of martial arts and cracking them while drawing. Sexy! Kidding aside, I do love my ring as it is now.

There are people out there that would be really pissed if you didn't love your ring, get offended, take it as an attack of their love for you that you didn't instantly melt when you got it. Mr. GB is not one of them. While he IS sensitive and romantic, unlike me, and gets googly eyed and lovey-dovey at weddings and nearly cried at our wedding (which I mocked him for), he still agrees with my ring changing policy.

Here is my theory on the ring and why I'm so willing to change it.

People change. I happen to change more often and more drastically than average, but we all change. When Mr. GB met me, I wore crazy clothing from the independent fashion scene in Toronto, 6" platform boots from Japan, had a bevy of backless shirts and neon pink hair. (Yea, he still called me bland.) At some point I had over 20 piercings on my body. And that was after I started to dress like a normal person. I now wear a lot of Anthropologie and cardigans and don't have any more metal on my face. My style has changed drastically over the time I've known Mr. GB and I'm certain it will continue to change. Since all Korean women eventually go down this path, I'll have permed hair and be wearing a lot of St. John outfits very soon.

The ring may be a symbol of our love, but love isn't static. It changes and grows with you. Unless our relationship is exactly the same for the next 30 years, there is no reason for me to be forced to wear the same thing that entire time. No matter how meaningful, it is still jewelry. If instead of rings you received clothing for engagement, and I got an awesome bejeweled, puffy painted, acid washed jean engagement jacket in the early 90s, would I still want to wear it now? Well, probably, but you get the point. I really want a bedazzler and one of those laser school portrait backgrounds for photographic fun. But that's me.


hell. yes. should have had this at the wedding.

Mr. GB and I will love each other no matter how we change, whether that means senile, permed, wearing house dresses and shoving people out of the way to get on the train first so I can get a seat, he's going to still love me. He promised. There are people who don't agree and think I'm terrible, but that's fine. But changing my ring doesn't mean I no longer love Mr. GB, it just means I'm picky and bratty and he's willing to deal with it... I mean, um, that we love each other no matter what we're wearing.

No comments: