9.12.07

It's not a chuppah... ok, so it kinda is.

"He's not Jewish"
-takes one look at Mr. GB's photo- "No, he's Jewish, what's his last name?"
"xxxxberg"
"He's Jewish"
"everyone thinks he is, but he's not!"
-looks at the ceremony marker- "He's Jewish."

Despite all the things that would make Mr. GB very apparently Jewish, he is not. And while he doesn't mind people making the mistake, he thought it would only further convince people that he was a liar when they saw his ceremony marker... that looks kinda like a chuppah. It is 4 poles with fabric held between them, but it's just a nice marker for the ceremony! We wanted some natural that offered some covering, and this seemed like the perfect thing to just erect on the farm that didn't seem completely out of place. We wanted everything to be natural and low-key, and this was no exception.

Mr. GB did a LOT for the wedding, much more than I expected him to. Not only did he go to every vendor meeting with me, look at magazines with me, be the phone contact for all our vendors, drove me to appointments here and there and even went to paper source alone many times, AND do every single craft project with me... he also built our "chuppah" himself in our garage.

Yes, I ordered Mr. GB some birch poles, some lace (thank you to Jen for sewing the trim on), and told him to go the hardware store for some tools. He went out and bought everything he need, even traveling to a ton of stores looking for galzanized metal buckets since I was very specific about what I wanted them to be placed in, and spent a few days locked in the garage to make our poles stand straight!!




The morning of the wedding, he, his brother, his father and my BIL all went out and built it on the ceremony lawn. It was a bit windy, so they had to use some ribbon to make it a little more stable, but all in all, I think it went well! He is standing in the background speaking to our DOC in these photos, but I swear he was helping... or at least, so he says. Either way, liar or not, he gets credit for building it in the garage first.

Cover the buckets with some moss and we're done! Not shabby, eh?



I could give you a million reasons why I love Mr. GB, like how when we were on an international flight from japan he spilled a drink on himself within 1 hour of take off and just laughed at his luck... he got diaper rash, I told him he would. He still laughed, just with a slight twinge of discomfort. But the fact that he not only let me work towards my ideal of a wedding (knowing full well I'm an anal perfectionist) but took every step with me, never denied me a seven hour "talk" about my choice in ribbons, brainstormed ideas with me, and supported me being a bee despite the fact that he knew somehow the world would end up knowing about his case of diaper rash at the age of 23... it make him the most tolerant and wonderful person in the world. Anyone willing to put up with me and pretend he enjoys it is special, possibly short-bus special, but I'm taking what I can get.

To show him I care, I'm going to pack baby powder with me on any future long flights.

No comments: