25.7.07

Dress Anxiety + Awesome Discovery

Thanks so much for the support about my current dress, it has been causing more a ridiculous amount of stress since I tried it on last week. I was in tears this morning thinking about all the things I would have to alter in order to even slightly ease the stress about it. Unfortunately, the bridal salon REFUSED to book me an appointment before August when I requested in June, and even gave me a hard time about letting me have one in beginning of August. They were incredibly rude when I expressed I just wanted to TALK to someone about the changes I'd like done. They flat out told me I wasn't important to them because of my wedding date and that they will not talk to me at all about what they can and cannot do until August. No one will even look at it or pin it for me... the woman cut me off when I was asking her questions, to just keep repeating she can't talk to me.

Here is the problem:
The dress is 2-3 inches too large on me in all measurements and I'm only 5'4", so all the curves are several inches lower than mine. I appear to have midget legs, and although a friend helped me hold it up from the shoulders, because the sleeve openings are small and the general structure, it was impossible to get the waist in the right place. My shoulders are also far too small for the dress as is, so they will need to be slimmed down and pulled in... which caused the back of the neck to overlap by many inches.

In all, it's wholly unflattering on me the way I saw it last week. Thanks to the bridal salon for being entirely unhelpful, rude, and refusing to pin it, I have no idea how it will look if I alter it. They won't even tell me they can or cannot do things.

Semi related, but not completely - in my desperate search to find something that would be more comfortable during the reception, I did spend a lot of time looking for a second dress. From vintage shops online, to ebay, to any webstore and all bridesmaid gowns I could find, nothing really called to me. I did find this to share.


images from odastyle

Odastyle is a small fashion design group run by three local girls. I had the pleasure of meeting with them and discussing a possibility in ordering a reception gown custom made through them. Seeing the above gown and possibly having it made shorter and other changes made, is a serious consideration of mine. They use natural, organic, and found materials, vintage lace and the gowns are just amazingly detailed. Everything is handmade, so the possibilities in customization are endless. It doesn't hurt that they are the cute, sweet, and have the best dogs!




If you're considering a custom gown in San Francisco, they are worth meeting. Check out their collection, even if you just want an amazing gown or skirt for wear!


Sadly, I'm still going crazy. Mr. GB says watching me mope around the house in tears after coming home from the dress trial, he wants me to make the decision that will make me happiest, no matter what that means. Selling this one, rushing another, or taking it elsewhere to be altered by someone who isn't going to treat me like poo-poo, it's worth it so I feel beautiful and comfortable on my wedding day. He even let me buy a pint of cardamom ice cream from Ici.

If you're curious, this is the dress that I was considering otherwise.


While I sit eating ice cream and considering my options.... does anyone know a really good place to alter my wedding dress so I can avoid Miss Meany Head?

No comments: