28.7.07

I'm just detail oriented! (anal)

Mr. GB and I aren't spending a lot of time thinking about the huge aspects of the meal-related decoration. We're not fussing over flowers (I trust my floral designer 120%) and not making a big deal over linens or plates. It's all about the details for us. While I was completely happy with the idea of standard white this and standard that, I didn't want anything on the table that wasn't either completely blend-in-plain or part of my.. er.. vision. It occured to me I didn't want standard ugly salt and pepper shakers, and toyed with the idea of vintage ones, or most likely, none at all.

Then luckily, I found a picture of these little sake cups in a magazine, and since research and digging around for information is part of my job, I hunted down the location and found that the manufacturer/distributors of these cups was here in San Francisco at a place called Tampopo. A puppy dog face and a little tugging and we drove across the bay to pick up a bunch of these little cups as salt and pepper bowls. We figured two sets per table would be enough since we don't expect people really to be seasoning their food.

But I hate salt and pepper bowls that you use your fingers in. It's just icky to me - who knows where the finger has been! There are foul things on fingers and I don't want them in my communal salt bowl. On went the quest for spoons.

I searched high and low for them - originally trying to find mini wood ones, but nothing came up. We were settled on the fact we may have to buy mother-of-pearl caviar spoons when I happened upon these little silver spoons, entirely by chance. They are by FAR the smallest spoons we found and are adorable with their super round bowls and handcrafted imperfect shaping.


PERFECT.


It's in the details I say, and thank god Mr. GB is ok with my insanity. It was cheap if you consider it part of the visual feel, but not cheap if you are just talking about salt and pepper holders. Either way, I find it odd that this is worth it, but no real thoughts about the glasses and plates have ever concerned me. Now what to do with a bunch of bowls and tiny-ass spoons in 3 months...

No comments: