28.9.07

80's Neon Christmas Tree

This is how I felt putting on this borrowed Korean Hanbok. My mother was very adamant about wanting to involve us in a Korean ceremony. She's trying to block a full hour for it, but honestly, our main ceremony is 20 minutes at the most and most of our guests don't speak a lick of Korean, including Mr. GB. But she's my mom and so I gave in and put on the outfit for a few minutes while she pinned it.


sorry for the blurry weird image, it was late at night and very dark... although I do let off my own florescent glow...

Mr. GB is being firm in not wanting to put on anything different for the ceremony, threatening to give my mom a live duck wrapped in ceremonial cloth if she tries anything funny. She just responds with a smack to his shoulder and a "Noooooo!" We're picking and choosing what we'd like to do. My sister had her husband carry her on his shoulders are bowing to receive blessings from family.

My parents want to throw chestnuts at me, having me catch them in my skirt - the chestnuts I catch is how fertile I am, so I've been told. Mr. GB says this is creepy and the imagery is too close to the whole sperm and egg, so he's vetoing it.


It's very difficult to get a straight answer out of my mother about what other ceremony options we have. Has anyone else had a Korean ceremony that was interesting and fun for non-koreans to watch?

No comments: