6.9.07

I want a flying squirrel...

and a pony... with wings. Oh, and to wish for more wishes.

I've been told by pretty much every boyfriend + his family + all friends that it is a complete and utter waste of effort to try and shop for me. I spend my day looking at Japanese webstores and researching good alternating between english and japanese. My tastes are indescribable and usually involve vintage goods on ebay or something only sold in one store in some random country that you have to special order.

I guess being asian, we always got that great envelope with a generic card that I am sure my non-english speaking grandmother did not choose with some cash stuffed into it. Not to say she doesn't love me and that I don't appreciate the thought, but I think the wit and sarcasm on a hallmark card in a language she doesn't understand is probably not something she can grasp.

So what does this mean? Our registry is non existent. That doesn't matter for my family, who can be trusted to bring their cards with the moola. But for everyone else, the things I want are not available in the US, not in stores with registries, or are vintage items on ebay that will be gone in 2 days 5 hours and 16 minutes. It doesn't help that when we bought our house, we weren't about to sit around saying "hmm.. well, we have no towels, but the wedding is only 12 months away... these old dishrags will have to do until then!" I'd feel like a jerk-face by registering at BB&B just because they are the only place that allows cash returns for wedding registry items.


I did make a wishlist on anthropologie, but you can't make two separately for housewares and clothes.. so my registry is half cardigans (we all know anthropologie only sells cardigans and those wide leg pants.) and half furniture that I want to buy that isn't in any normal registry price range.

What are other picky shoppers and freaks doing? And something that people who have no idea how to use a computer can easily manage? I'm thinking of asking people to give us nothing. Better nothing than a box of well wrapped guilt, I say!


ps. Anthropolgie is having their upholstery sale, and this sofa has my name all over it.

No comments: